We are a Responsible Steward of our Environment
When you improve your home with Woodpro Cabinetry, you can be sure you are doing your part to protect the environment.
Woodpro is certified by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer Association’s (KCMA) Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP). Woodpro’s “Green” efforts have been recognized by the high standards of the KCMA ESP program which promotes environmental responsibility and sustainability among cabinet manufacturers. ESP is the only environmental certification program that specifically focuses on kitchen and bath cabinets.
Certification is awarded on an annual basis based on compliance in five categories:
- Air Quality - reduction in the emission of hazardous air pollutants (HAPs). The ESP encourages manufacturers to use low-formaldehyde emitting materials in all their cabinets. Wood products, such as those used in cabinets, can emit low amounts of formaldehyde.
- Product Resource Management - use of recycled and sustainable products. Forests provide numerous environmental benefits, making it essential that we protect and sustain them. They moderate climate change, improve air quality, aid in water conservation, and preserve biodiversity. In order to maintain these benefits and ensure forests meet long term human needs, it is vital we practice sustainable forestry.
Sustainable forestry practices ensure the resources removed from the forest are at a level the forest is capable of renewing without damaging its future prosperity. In doing so, these practices preserve the environment and valuable forest resources. With so many benefits, it’s no wonder ESP advocates that manufacturers purchase wood through a recognized sustainable forestry program.
In addition to sustainable forestry, ESP also supports selective harvesting. Selective harvesting is the practice of periodically removing mature trees in order to allow young trees to grow. Trees that are near their death or have grown to an unproductive diameter can stunt younger trees from growing properly. By periodically harvesting particular trees, forest regeneration is improved. Selective harvesting leads to healthier forests, thus preserving the environmental and social benefits forests provide.
- Process Resource Management - company has a recycling, waste stream management, and energy conservation program in place. Woodpro recycles finish solvents, cardboard and other wastes. We recycle finish solvents, cardboard and other wastes.
We use lumber optimization technology to reduce lumber waste. We use inter-office e-mail and both sides of paper to reduce paper use. Woodpro has not taken a load of wood waste to the landfill in more than 12 years. Wood waste is used by Woodpro to generate steam energy that heats Woodpro’s buildings and finish ovens.
- Environmental Stewardship - manufacturer has a documented program which demonstrates its commitment to environmental quality and reviews the environmental practices of its key vendors.
Woodpro’s environmental policy statement is as follows:
We are a responsible steward of our environment and are committed to Building Products that Last! We strive to reduce or recycle process wastes using Lean Manufacturing, Technology and Continuous Improvement.
- Community Relations - company demonstrates community involvement and leadership through service or charitable organizations.
A minimum number of points must be met over all five categories to qualify for ESP certification, along with the supporting documentation to substantiate that the company has instituted the necessary policies and procedures.
Upon certification, all ESP-certified companies are awarded the ESP seal to display on their products, giving testament to their dedication to preserving much needed resources. Woodpro will display the ESP seal on all vanities and dresser vanities manufactured by Woodpro Cabinetry.
Buying Wood Products
ESP members are doing their part to manufacture and produce products in an environmentally responsible way, and there are also many ways you, individually, can have a positive impact on the environment.
Wood products are an environmentally friendly choice for a number of reasons. They are recyclable, biodegradable and uses less energy to process than metals and plastic. Wood is also a naturally renewable resource, meaning new trees will grow in place of those that have already been harvested. In addition to renewing themselves, new trees are often planted to help the forest thrive.
Now more than ever we can use wood products without the fear of diminishing wood supply or forest prosperity. The reason being that many forests are harvested using sustainable forest practices which assure the forests remain healthy.
For more information see www.greencabinetsource.org